The State Castle and Chateau Český Krumlov
Guided Tour II
The Guided Tour II presents the interiors of the 19th century, when the Chateau belonged to the Schwarzenbergs.
The Schwarzenberg Portrait GallerThe Schwarzenbergs were princes with the title of duke who came from Germany (Lower Franconia), but lived in Bohemia beginning in the 17th century. They belonged among the rich and important noble families and held high positions at the Imperical Court in Vienna.
The portraits capture individual members of the family from the 15th century up to World War I.
Here are the most important family members:
Erkinger - the family founder, originally coming from
Seinsheim, bought the Schwarzenberg
domain in the 15th century
Jan Adolf I. - settled in Bohemia in the 17th century (his
protrait over the door shows him with
a Schwarzenberg family tree and family
possessions - Český Krumlov, Třeboň, Orlík,
Adam Franz - the first Schwarzenberg generation in Český
Krumlov (since 1719)
Karl I. Filip - defeated Napoleon in the Battle of Nations
near Leipzig in 1813. Founder of the Orlík -
Zvíkov branch of the family in 1802
Felix - Austrian Prime Minister (1848 - 1852)
Fridrich - Cardinal and Archbishop of Prague and
Salzburg (Carrara marble bust)
Gray and yellow Classicist room, the engraving room
These Classicist rooms are located on the second floor of the east winf of the Chateau and date from the reconstruction of the first half of the 18th century. They are furnished as guest rooms according to the 1820 and 1838 inventories, and represents Classicist-, Empire- and Biedermeier-style chateau furnishing. The first two rooms are decorated with Ferdinand Runk´s landscapes capturing the Schwarzenberg domains at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries.
The second Classicist room is nicely illuminated and its corner position gives a south view of the Second Chateau Curt. The furnishing bring to mind the time of Prince Josef and Princess Pauline, whose portrait you can see on the stand next to the window. Princess Pauline married Josef when she was twenty and bore him 9 children. She was an educated woman who spoke five languages, painted, sang and played several musical instruments. She died trgically in 1810, when she was only thirty-six years old, at the betrothal ball for Emperor Napoleon and Austrian Archduchess Maria Louisa. The princess was caught in a burning hall when searching for her daughters Pauline and Eleanor. On the bed with the curtains you can see a replica of the dress Pauline´s twelve-year-old daughter Maria Pauline was wearing at the time of tragedy.
The third Classicist room lined with 114 English copperplates is furnished as a gentlemen´s room. There is a special sofa next to the window, a chaise longue formed by an extension of the seat of an armchair. On the small table you can see a wooden casket with an inlaid mill game board.
This room is the result of a reconstruction of a medieval tower and was used as a chambermaid´s room in the 19th century; the chambermaid could be called by means of a bell system from the adjacent parlour. The necessary personal, wprk and hygienic equipment is all here (a portable flush toilet behind the open door). The pictures on the walls show Český Krumlov in the 18th and 19th centuries, when the town development was fundamentally completed.
Parlours became the centre of the social life of the aristocracy as well as the burghers in the early 19th century. Information was traded, literary works were read and musical productions performed there during get-togethers. The furnishings come from the Classicist period (18th and 19th centuries), for which those pastel colours, flower patterns, fabric draperies and simple furniture were charakteristic. The chinaware on the table was made in the oldest Czech china factory, Horní Slavkov, near Karlovy Vary. Of the musical instruments, you may be particularly impressed by the working Viennese hammer piano of the early 19th century. There are 18th-century portraits of the Schwarzenbergs on the walls.
Prince Josef´s bedroom
This room is furnished similarly to the Prince Josef´s bedroom in the Schwarzenberg Palace in Vienna from 1841. The furnishing is partly Classicist and partly from more recent style periods. Over the desk there is a portrait of Prince Josef II. Jan, who began to administer the properties of the first Schwarzenberg branch when he was twenty years old. The painting on the stand in front of the bed shows Prince Josef on hid deathbed. The woman sitting next to the bed is probably Josef´s daughter Eleanor Sophia, who brought up Josef´s and Pauline´s children after Pauline´s death. There are hygienic supplies and men´s clothes displayed in the dressing room.
Room with heraldic tapestries
The Schwarzenbergs acquired a large collection of 87 tapestries during 17th and 18th centuries. It contains heraldic tapestries, in the middle of which is the Schwarzenberg family crest (a Turk´s head with a raven). The walls are also lined with paintings by Ferdinand Runk (his self-portrait is on the left side of the front wall).
Ferdinand Runk was a Schwarzenberg court painter and art teacher of Princess Pauline and her children. He painted more than a hundred paintings of the Schwarzenberg residences, capturing their appearance of that time.
This room was nemed after Prince Karl I. Filip von Schwarzenberg, a field marshal, founder of the second Schwarzenberg family branch based at Orlík Chateau. His portrait hangs next to the Classicist stove. You can see Orlík Chateau in the picture over the desk. Prince Karl started his military career in his youth and became famous due to his victory in the battle near Leipzig in 1813. As the chief commander of the allied troops of Austria, Russia and, Prussia, he defeated Napoleon´s army. (This event is depicted on the picture on the desk). The room´s furnishings come from the early 19th century. Two mythological scenes show Maria Magdalene and Salome with the head of John the Baptist. Below the painting of Salome is a picture painted by Princess Pauline in a gold-plated frame. The other paintings in the room show hunting scenes. A Classicist tin coffee service is displayed on the table in front of the sofa. The Classicist sofa standing on the right next to the window is an unique piece.
Schwarzenberg apartment and Parlour with a portrait of Princess Eleanor
The next apartment is furnished according to preserved inventories from 1879. It was occupied by Jan Adolf II. von Schwarzenberg and his wife, Eleanor, née Lichtenstein. The apartment furnishings are mostly original and form a very believable and authentic ambience of a late 19th-century interior. The furniture here is of Second Rococo style, with alliance badges of Jan Adolf II. and Eleanor. You may have a look at the Viennese china figures in the corner shelving with rich carving.
A full-length painting of Princess Eleanor at the age of 22 is displayed in the next ceremonial room. Eleanor liked to travel with her husband, particularly to England, where she was fascinated with the English Tudor residences. As a result, she initiated the reconstruction of the Hluboká Chateau into a representative Bohemian Schwarzenberg residence according to the English Romantic Gothic style. The Romantic style is brought to mind by a mirror in a richly carved frame. You can see genuine Asian china displayed in the gold-plated shelving on the walls.
The Smoking room and the Prince´s reference library
The smoking table used for storing pipes, tabacco bags and other smoking equipment is an interesting piece of furniture.
The long chair called the chaise longue in the next room is also attractive. There used to be 1.627 books in the library as the lists say, mostly German, English and French. The Chateau library, which is now located on the Second Chatea Court, has more than 40.000 titles in total. The portraits show the Schwarzenberg family members. The bust next to the door presents Emperor Franz I.; the man in the middle is Prince Metternich, a symbol of Austrian absolutism prior to 1848.
The Small Dining Room
This room´s furnishings are a little more recent than that in the previous parlours, mostly from 1870s and 1880s. The chandelier is made of brass. Two lampposts also belong to it. The inlaid floor dates from the 18th century. The pictures with hunting scenes were brought from England by Jan Adolf II. A lot of Asian as well as European chinaware is displayed on the walls, on the shelves and on chests of drawers. There is a service from the china factory in Horní Slavkov, near Karlovy Vary, laid on the table.
Princess Eleanor´s Parlour
While all the previous apartments were used by couples, the following parlours were the private rooms of Princess Eleanor. These rooms have also an authentic appearance according to the 1879 inventories. The walls in all the rooms are covered with rare 17th-century tapestries from the collection of Jan Adolf von Schwarzenberg. There are Flemish verdures from 1648 hanging on the walls, with forest landscapes and animal motifs, which also appear on the furniture upholstery. The escritoires in the corners imitate Asian furniture; they are chino series. The blue vases on the mirror come from another important Bohemian china factory in Loket. The rest of the chinaware is from Prague and Hungary. The chandelier is made of Czech crystal.
Princess Eleanor´s Workroom
This room contains a very rare collection of Dutch tapestries woven in 1620-30. These probably belong among the oldest, most valuable and most beautiful items of the Schwarzenberg collection. They show the myth of the Trojan war hero Aeneas, later founder of the Roman nation. The escritoire with the clock and the small table on the other side with a view of Český Krumlov are from the Baroque period; the other equipment is from the 19th century. The bird figures and the writing set come from the Meissen china factory, the rose-frosted glass is of Czech origin. The apartment owner, Princess Eleanor, is shown in the photograph on the desk. The lady in the photograph under the tapestry next to the door is Empress Elisabeth (Sissi), the wife of Emperor Franz Josef I.
Bedroom and toilet room of Princess Eleanor
This room is decorated with Brussels tapestries. The figural verdure series is titled Dutch Landscapes. All the furnishings except for the black clock with a small organ and the picture of the Holy Family on the portable altar date from the 19th century. The picture on the table behind the door is a view of the Neo-Gothic Schwarzenberg family sepulchre in Třeboň (now open to the public).
A toilet room with Classicist decorations (from about 1800) is adjacent to the bedroom. A toilet set integrated in a special table with a marble board served for personal hygiene.
Chambermaid´s room and Princess Eleanor´s dressing room
A room equipped for a chambermaid is located behind the princess´s toilet room. A bed, storage and seating furniture with toilet equipment formed the setting where a chambermaid performed her everyday work.
The entire apartment coplex ends in Princess Eleanor´s dressing room. The wardrobes located here come from the early, but also later 19th century. They served for storing clothes and smaller garments. The round shelves in the corner served for storing small items, which is quite unusual as these were usually parts of eating tables, where they served for putting food and drinks aside.
The Picture Gallery
The picture gallery presents valuable works by Flemish, Dutch, German and Italian painters of the 17th century. The Adoration of the Magi by Paolo Veronese (opposite the entrance door) and a copy of the Holy Family by Peter Paul Rubens belong among the most important. The Chateau picture gallery served as a social room of a representative character.
Plášťový (Cloak) Bridge
A decision was made in 1706 to build a wooden passageway connecting the Chateau´s second floor interiors with the Chateau Garden located above the Chateau. A year after the completion of this passageway, a lower passageway connecting the first floor of the Chateau with the theatre building was also built.
The current appearance of the passageway comes from the 18th century. You can find iron doors with Barocque locks and ironwork all the way through both the passageways which served as fire-prevention measures. The sign over the doors in the lower passageway state that only ladies may enter those on the left and only gentlemen, those on the right. These signs, in Baroque cartouches, mark the entries to spiral staircases with built-in toilets added to the bridge in 1749.